Nannari root also called as Indian sarsaparilla has wonderful health benefits:
1. Body coolant: Nannari root is a natural body coolant during summer, it keeps us from becoming dehydrated. It is so refreshing to drink a cup of nannari sherbet after a long hot day out in the sun.
2. Blood purifier: Nannari root is an excellent blood purifier and health tonic. Especially, if made with traditional jaggery, it is one of the best natural health tonics available and increases our energy levels.
3. Urinary infection: Nannari sherbet is reported to be an excellent home remedy for urinary infection.
4. Constipation: Consuming a glass of nannari sherbet also is a good and effective home remedy for constipation and it also relieves body pain.
5. For Digestion: This nannari sherbet is an effective way to treat our stomach disorders without swallowing bitter pills. If you have mild indigestion or if you are not hungry, take a cup of this nannari sherbet, you will feel better in no time.
The nannari syrup you get in the market has added synthetic colors and essence, so always try to make your own nannari sherbet. This sherbet can be either made with palm candy or with jaggery but try not to use white sugar.
- Nannari roots are brown in colour with a whitish middle part and a candy smell.
2. The whitish middle part has to be removed, before using it.
3. First wash the roots well at least 2 to 3 times to remove the dirt.
4. Pound the roots in a mortar and pestle and remove the inner white part separately.
5. Pound the outer brownish skin to make it into small pieces. Boil the measured out water in a pan and pour over the pieces, close with a lid and leave it overnight.
6. The next day, strain the syrup using a cloth, I used my jaggery stainer, which has got two layers of cloth.
7. Add the jaggery to the strained syrup and boil it. Once the jaggery melts, strain to remove impurities and boil again until it reaches one string consistency. Add the lemon juice and switch off.
8. Let the syrup cool and then store it in glass bottles in the refrigerator. To use, take around 2 tbsp of the syrup on a bowl and add the required amount of chilled water and mic, your nannari sherbet is ready.
• Make sure to check for one string consistency, when boiling the syrup.
• You can either use palm candy or jaggery.
• Remove the white part inside completely, before making the syrup.
• The outer pieces have to pound really well, as it releases the essence better.
• Make sure to strain using a double layer mesh or you can fold a muslin cloth and use it as a strainer.